Dear Sweet Saboteur,
You are the voice I hear every time I get a good idea. You are always there to remind me how much I suck and how I will never achieve anything. When I'm about to take a risk you never forget to remind me why it's a really pathetic idea and I will fail miserably just like all the other times. I'm a pretty bad listener so I usually go ahead and go through with my ideas anyway, but just after I do that, you are right there waiting for me to remind me what I forgot and how I could have done it better.
I really don't know where I'd be without you. There are so many things I haven't done thanks to you. I can't even count the projects I've quit and the things I didn't say, the dreams I didn't follow and the plans I didn't even make. Thanks to you I have stayed safe and small. Your constant reminders of my insignificance and unworthiness have been a real help.
Oh someone please gag me! Stop, just stop it! This Saboteur has got to go...somewhere way more fun, wink wink. One thing I know for sure is that my sweet saboteur is really clever, a slippery little sucker to be sure. Sometimes it's enough to just put my foot down but lots of times it sneaks in when I'm not looking. At those times putting my foot down isn't as easy. Here's an approach that I find a little more fun and suits my playful personality real nice.
You'll probably recognize lots of these Saboteur lines and I bet you can come up with a bunch of your own. Either way, they all have one thing in common, they aim to keep you from having more fun. The nerve! Well here's to you Mr. Party Pooper:
Mr. Party Pooper a.k.a Saboteur: Ms. Perky Possibility Pants a.k.a. Me:
1. "You suck!" "No, you suck!"
2. "You can't do that." "Oh yah? Watch me!"
3. "That's impossible." "You're impossible."
4. "What if it doesn't work?" "What if it does work?"
5. "No one's ever managed to do that." "They haven't met me!"
6. "You have no idea what you're doing." "Nope. What's your point?"
7. "You'll fail like all the other times." "Your fly is down."
8. "You're too old." "How rude. You should know better than that."
9. "You're totally unqualified." "Who made you the expert?"
10. "What will people think?" "That I'm awesome, obviously!"
11. "You could lose everything." "Is that ice cream?"
12. "No one will take you seriously." "Good. Serious is boring."
13. "That's a ridiculous idea." "Amateur!"
14. "Who do you think you are?" "That's none of your business."
15. "Be realistic!" "Is that a spider on your head?"
16. "You haven't thought this through." "I'm sorry, are you still talking?"
17. "How are you going to pull this off?" "I'm not sure yet. Do you have any suggestions?"
18. "tsk tsk tsk" "You're so cute, let me squeeze your cheeks."
19. "You look tired." "This mirror is working, muah ha ha."
20. "I don't have a good feeling about this." "Poor thing. You better lie down."
21. "That's a waste of time." "Close the door on your way out ok, I'll be working."
Truth be told, I believe my saboteur developed for good reason. He has good intentions, but is batting for the wrong team, poor guy. I feel for him, I really do, but I have so many amazing things I'm totally fired up about that I just can't allow him to rain on my dreams. I am here to change the way we do things so that this world can be an amazing place for everyone. Who has time to indulge in pessimistic, fear based, limit enforcing thinking? What is the cost of this not only in our own lives but on a community and global scale? Fear is expensive. Dreams are gold. Risk-taking is possibility central.
What dreams have you been putting off? What fears speak louder than possibilities?
What would it look like to live your best life? What are you like when you're at your best? When was the last time you checked in with your vision? How often do you feel absolutely fired up about life? What ideas are calling to you to be explored and brought to life. What would the world be like if you followed your dreams?
Dear sweet, misguided Saboteur, thank you. You have always been there for me and I appreciate that. My friends and I are here for a purpose and we don't have room for members that aren't pulling their weight. If you feel you can support us in following our BIG dreams and making this world a better place for all, then please join us. If you find that you can't take the leap out of your comfort zone, you'll have to stay behind. I wish you all the best xo
Thanks for reading!
I truly hope this was helpful for you.
My greatest desire is to see you succeed
in a way that matters most to you. You've spent enough of your life doing what's best in the eyes of others. Now it's time to follow your own sense of knowing. Who better to navigate your awesome life than you?
If you're curious about working with me, send me a message and we'll have a conversation to see if we're a good fit.
Darlene Tindall is a Transformational Life Coach, multi modality healer and teacher sewing the seeds of possibility far and wide. She is available in person or online for coaching, classes, private facilitation, energy work or yoga.